Saturday, March 28, 2015

Want to see my dead fathers will but the executor wont let me what do i do?

Want to see my dead fathers will but the executor wont let me what do i do?
Your father's will was filled with the court when the estate was opened (if the estate isn't opened yet - then nobody has been appointed executor). Such documents are public records in most states. The estate was probably filed in the county where your father was living at the time of his death.

Except for tiny rural counties, most courts have these documents online and you can access them through the court's website. If they don't have online access, you can go to the courthouse and look at it or hire a lawyer to get it for you.

WARNING, as an attorney, I find it very suspicious that the executor will not give a copy of the will to a child of the deceased. After you get a copy of the will (or if you can't get one) I would recommend that you speak with a local lawyer who's experienced in probate. You should also be aware that there are strict deadlines in these matters and "if you snooze, you lose."

No comments:

Post a Comment