Thursday, May 15, 2014

How legitimate is the business called Chandler Hill Partners?

How legitimate is the business called Chandler Hill Partners?
I was told on more than one occasion that CH was a "retained search firm" and that 95% of their clients found positions this way and had fees paid.

Beginning in April 2009, I contacted Chandler Hill via website after seeing a webpage that indicated they had positions to fill for companies looking for people in certain disciplines. I submitted my resume and was contacted a few days later, and set up an appointment to meet with Jon Vargo in the Houston office. During this meeting he said that only 15% of available jobs were filled through the usual method of resume submission. The rest were filled through direct contact, and they had an upper edge because they were a retained search firm and they had special contacts in companies that allowed them to bypass the usual hiring method. I took a Myers-Briggs test. Based on the results, he said that my personality was receiving offers on an average of 35 days, and that I was qualified to be placed for a Director, possibly Vice President position. He then required my wife to attend a presentation where she was given the same sales pitch. It was this promise of them being able to bypass the usual employment gatekeepers and presenting me at a higher level to companies that relieved her concerns that this was a scam. I would not have gone with this scheme without her agreement based on their statements. I have other documentation to back up my statements. All of the other complaints that I have found online recently should also reinforce my statement. Absolutely nothing was said about clients using the "referral interview" method of finding employment, which it turns out is the only procedure that they use. The name of a specific HR person at Schlumberger located down the street from this office came up repeatedly during all of these meetings.

The contract that I signed had a sentence "Client acknowledges that CHP is not a placement agency..." The description of services provided by JonVargo were not indicative of a placement agency, therefore this sentence did not concern me. The Campaign Strategy in the agreement did not exclude the type of services as outlined by JonVargo either. He said they present me to certain contacts they have in a large number of companies via the video resume they produce. NOTHING was said about relying on the "referral interview" method of employment marketing until the very end of the Preparation phase. Why else would they produce a "video resume?" This product is completely useless with referral interviews.

The contract states that the value of Part 1 Services is $5287.50, and on reflection after the fact, there is no way these services are even close. I responded to prepared questions with answers that I already knew. There was no deep soul-searching to find the inner me as expected and implied.

I received a letter from Ms. Hill that says in the first meeting (between Jon Vargo and I), I was not under any false expectations regarding their services. My response to that is Ms. Hill was not there, I did not yet know what services were implied in the sales pitch or what services were provided in reality. I expected more than what was received based on the website that introduced me to CHP and implied that they had employers looking for employees.

No comments:

Post a Comment